The Peanut Warehouse
The Historic Peanut Warehouse in historic downtown Conway has lived through many chapters in its century-long lifespan. As the name implies, the building was originally built in 1900 as a storage warehouse for peanuts.
Later, the 10,000-square-foot building that sits just off the Waccamaw River was used to store tobacco – thousands of pounds of the crop for 13 different tobacco companies – for decades.
The next use for the Peanut Warehouse would be as a venue for special events, parties, and gatherings, but the historic building had to shut its doors in 2014 because of structural issues. In spring 2016, the building reopened for the second time as a special event venue, after thorough renovations and preservations of the building were performed, including stabilization of the piers under the floor, additional updates on the overall structure, and cosmetic modifications.
Fast-forward to 2020, when the current owners renovated The Historic Peanut Warehouse the following year. The largest event venue in downtown Conway at 7,400 square feet added much-needed air conditioning to the 100-plus-year-old building, new windows and exterior siding, the replacement of portions of the floor, a paved parking lot, and updates to the bridal parlor, groom lounge, kitchen and restrooms, lights, drapes, and dance floor.
Despite all of the renovations and updates, the historic charm of The Peanut Warehouse remains a guest of honor. Special features that also remain in the building are the old scale, always an entertaining element for guests, and the building’s Strom Thurmond Porch, named in honor of South Carolina’s 103rd governor (1947-1951) and United States Senator from 1954 to 2003 when The Historic Peanut Warehouse turned 100 in 2000.
Today, as you will witness, each detail of each preservation and renovation of/to The Historic Peanut Warehouse has been painstakingly planned to be a marriage of the building’s rustic past and the modern comforts to accommodate our brides, grooms, and guests.